Nursing on Film 1920s-1980s
This collection of archive films and interviews is a tribute to nursing in North Staffordshire, as captured by the film camera from the mid-1920s.
THE NURSING HISTORY GROUP MUSEUM
This documentary was made to show the complete collection of artefacts and other memorabilia as displayed at St.Edwards’ Hospital, Cheddleton – before the bulk of the collection was put into storage when the hospital was closed down. Members of the NHG explain some key aspects and items in the collection, and give a vivid impression of nursing techniques of the past.
CITY GENERAL NURSES, 1988
Nurses past and present, plus doctors and other hospital personnel, are interviewed about the changing nature of nursing practices and the Hospital over the years. Their reminiscences reach back to before the Second World War.
NORTH STAFFORDSHIRE ROYAL INFIRMARY, 1937
This is a complete film, made by Infirmary employees in 1937, showing all aspects of Infirmary activity. Dr. Alun Davies gives an informative commentary, and adds background and additional information to enhance the fascinating archive film sequences.
A NURSE VISITING A CANAL FAMILY, 1930s
This short film shows how a nurse made a visit to a canal boat family in the time it took to negotiate the family’s boats through a canal lock.
DISTRICT NURSING ASSOCIATION, 1930
This early sound film was made to promote the District Nursing scheme by showing a short promotional film in all cinemas around the country – each town or city having its name edited into the title sequence. Christopher Stone was a popular BBC radio personality – his claim to fame being that he was the first ever radio disc jockey. Local contact information was added to the end of each film print.
CHILD CARE AND WELFARE, 1925
This sequence is from a longer film promoting all activities of Stoke-on-Trent Corporation in response to the County Borough being granted the status of a City by King George V in June 1925. Health and welfare are the themes of the film – and the repeated emphasis is on how far the Six Towns had come since Federation in 1910.