Six Towns on Film - HANLEY
This collection of archive films and interviews from Staffordshire Film Archive represents the best examples of Hanley captured on film from 1900 to the 1980s.
We begin with the City’s Jubilee celebrations of 1960 and see film of the town centre. We see the earliest film from 1900, and towns scenes in 1926. The Potteries Wakes are shown in 1927 on Regent Road and the Wedgwood Pageant in Hanley Park from 1930.
We see many scenes at Twyfords in 1929, Digging for Victory in Hanley Park in local allotments1941, a War Bonds rally in the Market Square and hear of rationing and the mix of nations during the War.
There are memories of Hanley cinemas Regent, Capitol, Palace, Empire, Imperial and Odeon. We see the Chief Scout visit the Victoria Hall and the old Port Vale ground in 1950. Hanley Deep Pit is scene before reclamation and we see the Forest Park being formed, then opened by the Queen in 1973.
Shelton Bar Iron and Steel Works is seen in action in the 1970s before closure, and we end with scenes at the 1986 National Garden Festival.